A few highlights from this week:
- I had an appointment with the doctor on Tuesday, and everything looks great. I'm on the high end for weight gain, which I talked to the doctor about since I am completely freaked out about this. Normal weight gain is 25-35 pounds, and I'll probably gain close to 35. I was thinking that I should be on the low end since I'm so short, but she said there's not really a correlation there. She did tell me that I'm doing fine, and that I should just keep exercising and eating well. I am trying to not beat myself up about it or get too caught up in the numbers - but it's hard not to! I've thought about this a lot the whole time; it's really difficult not to be horrified initially by the thought that I have put on so much weight in such a short time. It just doesn't feel normal. But I guess nothing about this is normal, right? So I am trying to walk/do yoga as much as possible and make good food choices (as I write this, I am enjoying a chocolate chip cookie . . . chocolate is an antioxidant). Anyways, I also heard the heartbeat again, and she measured my belly, and both are right on track!
- We had our second baby class on Wednesday, and I got to try out different positions for labor to see what feels comfortable. I decided that I will probably spend some time using one of those exercise balls - it felt good and more comfortable than sitting on a chair propped up. But who knows if that will actually feel good when I'm in massive amounts of pain. At least I tried out a bunch of different options, so hopefully a couple will get me through it.
- Also, we watched two birth videos: one woman had no pain medication, and the other had analgesics and an epidural. Watching those two side by side made me even more convinced that I want a natural birth - and Kyle is totally on board too. I know this is a very personal decision, and I have friends that have done it both ways. But I decided this for a few reasons: first, the idea of having a needle stuck in my back REALLY freaks me out. A lot. I don't want that at all. And second, I really want to be able to feel how my body works naturally - even if that means being in an intense amount of pain. I know my body is built for this, and I want to do everything possible to not intervene with what it's made to do on its own. My friend Erin said she keeps thinking of this in comparison to climbing a mountain - for me, I think of running a half marathon . . . crossed with a bad migraine. I've survived both, so I think I can handle this. That said, I know pretty much anything can happen, and I have no real idea what the pain will feel like. So I'm not going to be stupid about it - if I really need meds, I'll take them. :)
- The nursery is coming along, and almost completely done! I've been busy with several DIY projects - this weekend I'm going to make a lamp out of a birdhouse. I'll have another post coming soon with an update. The only things left are decorations (and cleaning up the closet . . . it's a disaster in there).
- This kid has clothes and gear!!! I think we are almost all set for clothes and paraphernalia for her, especially thanks to Emily and Casey for loaning us all kinds of stuff like bottles, burp cloths, nursing pillows, and enough clothes to last for a year! We are so glad we have friends with kids!
I commend you for wanting a natural birth! I always knew I wanted the drugs, aside from my aversions to needles. I think that's why they put it in your back, so you don't have to see the damn thing! My experience was the epidural wasn't bad at all...and relieved the pain right away. But the crazy part of me wants to MAYBE try and go med-free for #2. But we'll see, in the moment it's hard to think clearly.
ReplyDeleteThe other bummer for me was I was GBS positive, which meant I had to have an IV of antibiotics regardless, so I was strapped in from the beginning.
I will tell you, that Kenley's birth-day was one of the best days of my life, and not just because of the outcome. There is something so special and out-of-body about the whole process. I went into it being completely terrified (I didn't even want to watch ANY videos or know too much about the experience for fear that I would freak out more), but it was honestly a great experience that I would do over and over if I could! ha
Don't worry about the weight...it will come off especially with how active you were pre-PG. And breastfeeding helps TREMENDOUSLY, if you go that route.
Not much longer now! So excited for you both!
Don't fret about the weight. I gained more than that with you and I lost it quickly. Turned out to be a massive amount of amniotic fluid ... good cushioning for the baby! Love you! Mom
ReplyDelete