From: Kristin
To: Kristy
Sent: Thursday, November 10, 2011 10:55 AM
Subject: Must read for you!
Hey Kristy,http://m.ivillage.com/alanis-morissette-being-mom/1-a-399407
Saw this and thought of you. I love Alanis...and she is a great writer as well. I think she really nails it on the head with this post.
My response:
Wow - there are some really great things in here. I think right now I'm so caught up in thinking about what's going to happen in eight short weeks, that I can't really get mentally past the birth experience to the reality of what lies ahead once we actually bring a new person home with us. But I guess it makes sense, in some ways - is there REALLY any way I can prepare myself for being a mom? Yes, I am reading books and learning all I can about nipple confusion and swaddling and how to understand different poops, and I am thinking a lot about what it will be like to be a mom . . . but it's all so abstract. Like she says, I just am imagining a gorgeous little baby with soft skin and squirmy arms that cries a lot and sleeps a lot. But how could it be anything else at this point? I don't have kids. I have no idea what I'm in for.
But I think that's ok, too - to recognize that I am completely clueless, and that there's really no way to prepare for the tidal wave of changes that is quickly approaching. I wouldn't be having kids if I didn't have some sense that my life is going to be in absolute turmoil, and it wouldn't just be all blissful changes. I think that going into this knowing that it's going to be harder and more challenging than I can prepare myself for is actually the only preparation that I could achieve. But I'm ok with that.
Let's see if I still feel the same way three months from now :)
Thanks for sharing this! Love you!
Kristy
But I think that's ok, too - to recognize that I am completely clueless, and that there's really no way to prepare for the tidal wave of changes that is quickly approaching. I wouldn't be having kids if I didn't have some sense that my life is going to be in absolute turmoil, and it wouldn't just be all blissful changes. I think that going into this knowing that it's going to be harder and more challenging than I can prepare myself for is actually the only preparation that I could achieve. But I'm ok with that.
Let's see if I still feel the same way three months from now :)
Thanks for sharing this! Love you!
Kristy
Nice, I made your blog! There are few things in life that really rock your world. Becoming a mother is definitely one of those things. It is an experience like none other, and one that surely turned the light bulb on for me. I cannot wait for you to experience it all!
ReplyDeleteGreat article! It is terrifying to realize one has no control... but it is also very liberating! Going with the flow becomes the order of the day, the week, the year, the decade. Thanks for sharing this, Kristin! Barb/Mom
ReplyDelete