Interactive Post! I need opinions!
We have been working diligently on the house, our bedroom is the closest room to being finished - we just got 1958 Broyhill Sculptra dressers (in LOVE with them!) and an upholstered bed (we graduated from a full to a queen size!), and I already like our bedding. So I've been thinking about the two big things to finish this room: paint colors and window treatments.
Sorry for the crappy pictures, but just to get an idea of what I'm working with:
Question 1: We have a huge window on the left and a door to the balcony to the right of the window. Kyle wants to have a curtain on the window and some kind of curtain on the glass part of the door. I want to have floor to ceiling curtains across the whole thing. Which do you think would look better?
Question 2: So, I have been having fun with the Color Scheme Designer website. You can put in any color and it will show you complementary color schemes. Right now, the inside of our entire house is light pink (Kyle says it's taupe, but that's because he does NOT want to paint). I know eventually the whole thing will need to be painted. The bedding is the top left green color, and I am thinking about doing an accent wall in the middle magenta color. What do you all think? Kyle already said he didn't care what color I paint the bedroom. However, if I do an accent wall in that color, I don't want the rest of the walls to be light pink. Suggestions?
Thanks for your input!

Ok, I've been looking at this post forever to think to of options I would go with.
ReplyDelete1. I think you can incorporate Kyle's idea and yours. I would do a curtain hung high and wide on the window, and maybe try to mirror the doorway the same way? You could layer blinds and curtains ala: http://www.younghouselove.com/2009/06/email-answer-its-curtains-for-you/
2. Magenta is fun...but the key will be to make sure it's not too girlie, since it's a bedroom for both of yall. Maybe do a stripe of magenta in the middle (horizontal) so you have that fun, modern pop without the full committment? Also, think about how you want the room to feel. For a bedroom, magenta might be too lively of a color for somewhere you want as a relaxing retreat. I love a greyish/blue color (like this: http://gallery.younghouselove.com/2011/07/inspired-inexpensive-guest-bedroom/), and then you can accent with pops of magenta...maybe lamps or artwork or pillows. Just a thought.
I would just worry that the color would make the room look smaller. But, if you do go for it, I suggest using a color from the same paint strip for the surrounding walls...so it's a subtle difference and doesn't completely break the room up. So choose your darkest color for the accent wall, and then use the lighter color for the surround.
I'm having the opposite problem. Our walls in our bedroom are a sagey green, and I'm trying to figure out some fun curtains to use. I'm thinking I might go with sea inspired (of course) blues and whites...but I want a fun print! Good luck!
I love the idea of a bold accent wall, and personally I'm a fan of the color magenta so I'd say go for it! Maybe the rest of the walls should just be a light creme/khaki color and then have curtains with bright prints that incorporate the magenta in them so the color belongs. And I like the idea of doing a whole wall, but then I'd think you would need a large picture to help break it up!
ReplyDeleteI love KG's ideas….and I also like what Jaymi said about the curtains….
ReplyDeleteSo, I would do a very paled out version of whatever green you've got going on in bedding for the paint, pair it with magenta accents like KG suggested and art that has magenta, and use a patterned or textured curtains in either the rich magenta or green to pull it all together! And I would maybe do a pale cream in a pearl finish on the ceiling to give the room some shimmer and create more height and space. Can you do a cheap molding treatment? Do it the same shimmer and create ceiling height and detail!!
And to add a bit of modern, yet a nod to the old, do the rings that attach the curtains to the rods - check here:
http://www.westelm.com/products/round-metal-curtain-rings-r419/?pkey=cwindow-panels-curtains-shades
They even sell them at Target for like $6 a bag, so they are worth the money - they totally make any curtain so much more elegant!
Wish I was there to help!!!
Love the color combo! Here is my two cents:) paint the accent wall magenta with the other walls in a medium champagne/taupe (I think this would compliment both the magenta n green nicely) then do a patterned curtain incorporating all of the colors on the window only. On the door you can do a shade that pulls down from the top..this way you still get light n privacy without covering the architectural details n still having easy access to the porch. No matter what you decide I'm sure it will look great! Wish I were there to help! Kari
ReplyDeleteThanks for the feedback guys! I think the magenta wall has been vetoed. Finkle was here this week and you should have seen her face when I showed her what color I wanted to paint the wall - she was like, "do NOT do that!" I want color, but I am a little afraid that I won't pick the exact right color, and will end up painting it several times and Kyle will lose his mind. So, I think I am combining all your ideas in some way - more neutral walls (probably some shade of green, magenta curtains, and white wood blinds for the door. Plus a magenta throw pillow.
ReplyDeleteThanks :)
-Kristy
July 29, 2011 8:37 AM
Kristy, is the window wide enough to place the bed in front of? Curtains could then frame headboard and extend bedding theme. I also like the suggestion of magenta accents. Then you could consider other window treatments besides curtains for the door. - Mom
ReplyDelete