Thursday, May 19, 2011

we have a heartbeat!

I had my first appointment yesterday - it's not my first "official" prenatal appointment, but rather they just wanted to do a quick ultrasound to make sure the baby was developing as it should be. After a tense wait in the room (during which Kyle looked like he was going to hyperventilate/puke/pass out), my doctor came in and did the ultrasound. She showed us the little head and body, and then exactly what we were hoping for: the little flickering heartbeat. I felt like I could breathe again. It was pretty amazing to see this tiny living person inside of me, up on the monitor. Kyle says it looks like a boy.
So I am right where I thought I was - 6 weeks and 4 days along. So the next appointment is in about 3 weeks, and they will do another ultrasound. We aren't in the clear yet, but I read somewhere that if they find a heartbeat between 6-12 weeks, the chance of miscarriage goes down significantly. I don't want to get too excited yet. But at least this is a really good sign!

No comments:

Post a Comment