
Greetings from Glasgow - we're 1/4 of the way to a newborn! I am not quite sure what my other pregnancy signs are this week, because I am SO TIRED! Between the jet lag and the baby, I can barely keep my eyes open. Normally when I'm somewhere new, I can go, go, go . . . but not on this trip. It's all I can do to not let myself not sleep in my hotel room all day.
How big is baby: the size of a prune or a kumquat. Not really sure what a kumquat is. And a prune just sounds nasty.
Weight gain/loss: Who knows! I'll weigh myself when I get home.
Pregnancy symptoms: Um, I'm tired. And still developing a nice gut, but still just look fat, not pregnant.
Maternity clothes: Not yet. However, for the first time in my life, I tried on a dress and couldn't buy it because the top was TOO SMALL!!!
Sleep: What a joke. I've been sleeping on the hardest bed I've ever slept on in my life, and the pillow is about as thick as a lasagna noodle. It's horrible. Plus, it stays light until 11pm here, and gets light starting around 4am. I always forget how far north Scotland is - it's almost as far north as Alaska! I've been sleeping about 3 or 4 hours at a stretch, around the clock. Note to self: traveling across eight time zones during pregnancy is NOT a good idea.
Best moment this week: Despite my complaints, it's been pretty amazing to be in another country. I took the train to Edinburgh yesterday and toured the castle. And in Glasgow, it's not weird to see guys walking around in kilts, and I've been past several places where there are bagpipes playing. And not just for tourists, either - it's just part of life here.Food cravings: Sprite and anything else lemony.
Food aversions: Just now in the airport I walked past a food court, and all the greasy food smells were grossing me out. I ended up eating a pretzel for dinner.
What I miss: My husband. I wish Kyle could have come with - traveling alone just isn't quite as much fun.
What I am looking forward to: Closing on the house on Wednesday and moving in on Saturday! I can't wait to get in there and make the house our own.
Milestones: The baby is a ittle over an inch or so long, crown to bottom — and weighs less than a quarter of an ounce, your baby has now completed the most critical portion of his development. This is the beginning of the so-called fetal period, a time when the tissues and organs in his body rapidly grow and mature. He's swallowing fluid and kicking up a storm. Vital organs — including his kidneys, intestines, brain, and liver (now making red blood cells in place of the disappearing yolk sac) — are in place and starting to function, though they'll continue to develop throughout your pregnancy. In other developments: Your baby's limbs can bend now. His hands are flexed at the wrist and meet over his heart, and his feet may be long enough to meet in front of his body. The outline of his spine is clearly visible through translucent skin, and spinal nerves are beginning to stretch out from his spinal cord. Your baby's forehead temporarily bulges with his developing brain and sits very high on his head, which measures half the length of his body. From crown to rump, he's about 1 1/4 inches long.
No comments:
Post a Comment