I figure it's about time to write about the giant paint project I took on this summer. I thought it would take a week to do the whole room . . . I think it was done in a month? Maybe 5 weeks? Anyways, it's done, thank goodness!

doing math . . .
and then finally getting some paint on the walls! I first painted the three non-mural walls a light yellow - almost white. Then I tackled the mural last. I had found some instructions on how to paint lines on textured walls, and it involved lots of painters tape and detail work.
Here's the first half of the wall, in progress:
Look at that perfectly crisp line!
First half, done!
Or, almost . . . I got a little sloppy here and had to repaint the trim :(
Part 2 in process. This took a while, and I am glad I invested in a laser level - I never would have gotten straight lines without it. Our walls are plaster and curve all over the place.
Voila!
I love it.
But after taking these pictures, I realized how dark and neutral everything else in the room is - the furniture is gray, black, and blah. So I'm on a mission to bring more color into this room. I'm thinking pillows, a tablecloth, a throw blanket, plant pots, lampshades, and a coffee table. Any other suggestions?

I also really want to paint the chandelier, but I'm kind of scared to. We'll see about that.
And new dining chairs - one of our four broke, and #2 is going to collapse soon. If I had a million dollars I'd probably get some of these ghost chairs, but I'm not ready to drop an entire paycheck on dining room chairs anytime soon.
But these things will all be added slowly, as we save up for them (or as things break).
Hope you like it!





I didn't realize you had extended the mural to the dining room. It all looks great!. The chandelier will be a snap with the right spray paint...flat, shiny or textured. Just apply in thin coats and be patient. Too much at one time runs. Love you all! Mom
ReplyDeleteMadison chairs? Surprised they lasted this long, famous for collapsing. The mural looks great !!
ReplyDelete