The yard is DONE! I must admit that it kind of feels like we cheated - I am so used to doing home projects ourselves that I kind of miss the satisfaction that comes along with finishing a job. But really, I don't miss it too much. Plus, there's plenty for us to still do! Obviously we also need to finish the back half of the yard, including pouring a driveway . . . but that's not happening this year.
Eventually, we will add some bushes in the mulch. My mom has lilac bushes in her front yard, and I've watched them grow over the years from four-inch sticks into seven-foot bushes. The blooms smell so heavenly, and I like the idea of having the same bushes that are at the house where I grew up.
We are also planning on expanding the deck and redoing the stairs in the next couple of years, so we just used mulch in this portion - it will eventually be covered by a deck. Or a hot tub, if Kyle has his way (and we suddenly start making gobs of money).
Also, we eventually will have to take out that giant cottonwood tree right next to the deck - it's half dead. I'm balking at taking any action yet though - it is still half alive, and it provides beautiful shade all year. I can see the tree from our bedroom window, and I'll be really sad to see it go. So I'm sure we will want to plant another tree in the same spot.
Maybe a tree in the back left corner? All the crabapple trees in Denver are in bloom right now with gorgeous pink flowers - it looks like the whole city is a wedding waiting to happen. There are petals blowing everywhere. It's making me want to plant a tree that will bloom with flowers every spring.
I'm so happy with how things turned out, and I am already imagining watching Lea learn about nature and gardening and the seasons here. I can't wait till she is big enough to play in the yard with Hadley, or help plant seeds and watch them grow. And I'm really looking forward to two things: the taste of garden-fresh green beans, and the smell of sun-dried laundry!
Happy Spring, everyone!
It looks wonderful! Can they come and do my back yard? Mom
ReplyDeleteLooks great!!!
ReplyDeleteI love it!!!! A nice place to make great memories! Dana
ReplyDelete