Monday, February 4, 2013

bathroom: I'm crazy.

Ok people.

I have been spending an inappropriate amount of time thinking about that bathroom.

Thanks for all the feedback - it's always nice to know that at least three people read this blog!
After a lot of soul-searching, I decided that I don't want to do white walls (thanks to Meghan, who reminded me that what I really want is white tile, and white paint just won't look the same).
And I saw this fabric in person:
and it's totally the wrong color for my towels. It just makes the towels look faded and sad. Which they are. But we are being budget-conscious, so no new towels. I'm working with what I've got.

And I have decided that I just don't LOVE this shower curtain:
So. Scrap all that.

I do realize this makes me look a little OCD.

Starting over. And I decided to go with dark walls. Like this:
Yep, that's dark.
Even a little cave-like.
But I like it - plus, my bathroom gets more light than this.
And I'm not going to cover the window with a dark shade.
But it might be nice to take a bath in a cave.
It would be like those swimming caves at the Playboy Mansion. 
I love how the white trim and fixtures look so crisp against this color. 
Admittedly, I might like this one just because of the giant birds on the walls.
But I also love the wall color, and how they hung art all the way down to the floor.
How great - a bathroom art gallery!
Or, I could go more royal blue.
I love this room.
But this color might be dangerous -
if it's even a little bit off, it will look crazy.
And not in a good way.
In an 80s bad decision way.
Especially in a bathroom.

(Thanks MFAMB for this)
So, here we are: dark gray/navy/slate-ish walls, light blue towels. Part of the decision for this is because Kyle said he liked the dark bathroom at our old house, and he rarely has comment on these types of things. Here's that bathroom:

Man, I really did like how that turned out. This decision seems right.

So then there's this:

Well, hello, gorgeous color palette! walls are shade #1 on the left, towels are second from last color . . . and then there's that persimmon color? Tomato red? I don't know what to call that color. But I think I will need a toothbrush cup or painting or something in that color. It's great.

I'm also thinking a white shower curtain.  Plain white, maybe with a strip of this fabric along the bottom?

I started caulking all the cracks and holes in the walls yesterday. Once I actually make some decisions, I can't wait to get going on this!

3 comments:

  1. ooh I love it. I really love that dark navy color. I think a dark color will work in there cuz you have a lot of white fixtures/features. white pedestal sink, and a large white window and white molding. and i think all those features will pop nicely with dark walls.
    have you checked west elm for shower curtains? they have a navy and white striped one, and also a few choices of mostly white ones.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks, Jaymi! I like that white one at West Elm with the circular pattern on it. I'll have to see if it's in the budget - I have to buy two of whatever I choose!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That last bathroom is laid out similar to yours. I was at first concerned with the contrast of light(window) to dark wall, but that doesn't look as dark as the navy, and I think it will turn out great! Mom

    ReplyDelete