Monday, October 14, 2013

Downstairs bath

When I got out of my interview for my new job, I felt pretty good about it. So good, in fact, that I went home and told Kyle, "If I get this new job, I am redoing the bathroom on the main floor." That's confidence.

So I got the job, and then realized I shouldn't spend my entire raise on renovating a tiny bathroom. However, it is ugly. Maybe worse than the upstairs bath was pre-makeover. Something must be done:
Why is the toilet turned in this direction? Who knows! All I know is that you have to squeeze past the sink to sit down. Since drilling another hole in the floor to turn the toilet is not an option, I will be replacing the sink with a smaller pedestal version.


And behind the door is . . . another doorway! Surprise! It's been closed off, and now there is a cat hole in the corner.

My favorite kind of mood lighting is the fluorescent tube kind. Because I want to feel like I'm at work when I am in the bathroom.

  I peeked around in the ceiling, and discovered that they put in drop ceilings to cover up a GIGANTIC mess made when they put in central heating (the house was previously on a boiler system). They just ripped through everything and then dropped the ceilings to hide the mess. I contemplated pulling out the drop ceilings and fixing the mess, but there are pipes and holes everywhere. It's too much for me to deal with. So, I am going another route:



Tin ceiling. I think it looks kind of cool and appropriate for a house that's 100 years old.

Now, what to do about the light? I have a couple of options. Both require an electrician.
1. have a new pendant light hung from the ceiling.
2. have sconces installed on either side of the mirror.

Not sure what I'll do yet. Or colors, or anything. But the pink has got to go. As does the mirror and too-big sink.

Oh, and the weird doorway behind the door? It will become a closet. I'm pretty excited about this, actually. It will only be about 8 inches deep, but that's just enough space for cleaning supplies, toilet paper, a broom, and the Swiffer wet jet. Since we have zero closets on the main floor of the house, I think this will be a nice addition without losing any space - the hole is already there, thanks to some strange choices by the previous homeowners.

So, here's the list:
  • tin ceilings
  • change out fluorescent light for something else
  • texturing walls - some is textured, some is not, so I'll either sand everything or texture everything.
  • paint
  • make doorway into shallow cabinet - hang door, hang shelving
  • new mirror
  • new pedastal sink
  • fix baseboard trim
  • get a rug and new towels
  • some kind of shelving? There is nowhere to set anything down. Maybe this just means choosing a sink that has a bit of a ledge on it.
  • figure out what to do about the artwork - I had visions of completely covering the walls gallery-style with all the mountain artwork and photographs Kyle keeps finding, but I think it's looking a little too much like an 80s Italian restaurant. I might edit it down to a few pictures just on one wall.
gah, this is going to be a yearlong project. Maybe I should wait until after the dissertation to start on this . . . 

1 comment:

  1. Shelves above toilet, shallow shelves to the left of the sink. You can almost start @ the floor. Yes, wait until after dissertation. And, no, it won't take a year. ;-)

    ReplyDelete